Saturday 21 June 2014

Shabby poppy

Ive enjoyed looking at Jenny Nuttall's fabric inspired pieces oer on the PaperArtsy blog this week especially the Fabric Hanging.  You know me, any opportunity to play with fabric in my art I'm happy!.

Well this is my version.  

I kept pretty much to Penny's description in terms of fabric, stencilling and stitching, but veered off track quite quickly by adding Grunge Paste (GP) and text paper to my linen top layer.

I also used a very neutral palette of colours compared t Penny's brights (comfort zone).

First, Nougat over the GP and text as a base for the stencilling and to knock back the text.  Mocha Mousse was the first layer over the JOFY poppyheads stencil. Over this I added a mixture of Nougat and Chutney to soften the the Mocha.  When it was dry I rubbed back a bit of the lighter layer to reveal the Mocha at the base. 

Little bits of texture stamping using Tree Branch and Fern Archival in the corners and some Glimmer Mist in Marshmallow all over and Cinnamon on the corners.  

I further defined the poppyheads using a soft brown water colour pencil and stamped the Sara Naumann quote in Potting Shed. 

Various eyelets, jump rings and pins to make the hanging bit and some wire wrapped around a bit of driftwood stained with Alcohol inks.

So thanks Penny for the inspiration.

Hugs
Jo
xx
 

  

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely like your additions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the weathered beachy look of this and the textured free machining. Whole new interpretation of the project.
    Thank you, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow it is really beautiful, love the poppies

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh very nice, looks like an old manuscript type thingie..without the script, lol you know what i mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texture a go go. Whenever I see your work it sets me off yearning to do something grungy and textured. Must, must get some linen! Just love it Jo and need to stroke it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this piece Jo with your trademark neutral colours (my favourites) and textured layers.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your take on Penny's project, Jo! It's beautiful with great use of texture! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, natural colours and components, so textural, love it. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!