Sunday 14 April 2013

Madam Holbein

Well Spring might just be on it's way here in the blustery Shires, I've managed to get two lots of washing out on the line dried and I think we can finally turn the heating off!

Yesterday was Ally Pally in London or "any excuse to buy load of not needed but truly wanted stash"!  I knew I wanted the new PaperArtsy fresco colours (especially as some were "inspired" by my cat - Taupe will forever be Maise Moo colour in our house).  These were indeed purchased along with some stamps, gilding flakes and Frantage embossing enamels. 

You know me, I  just love my monochrome neutral palette so I was dying to start using all the greys (with a bit of pansy) for contrast. 

The canvas had a very dark grey (mixed Little Black Dress and Snowflake to get a charcoal) all over.  there are lots of bumps and textures as it was another re-used canvas!.  Then I just started adding thin layers of Elephant, Concrete and Snowflake in that order.

I added some grunge paste through a stencil at the edges.  One that was dry (shock horror I went and did some housework) I added some stencilling and stamping in a darker mixed shade using Little Black Dress and Snowflake.  It doesn't matter if it isn't a clean image I just wanted that "shabby distressed rubbed off look". In some places I rubbed back quite hard with a baby wipe to reveal a hint of the charcoal.  The dried grunge had Pansy over the top and then some Treasure Gold in Classic, White Fire, Renaissance and Onyxite.   

In the middle. I randomly used my Versamark pad over and added sticky embossing powder, heated and one it was tacky put loads of gilding flakes over.  Patted them down and then rubbed off the excess. Over the top of his I added some Frantage embossing enamel in Aged Scarlet and Aged Taupe. It's a chunkier embossing powder that melts into blobs as well as a flat enamelled look. I just sort of sprinkle it on, hold the heat gun at quite a distance to start melting it.   Over the top of this I added some more grunge paste through a stencil.  One this had dried I pit the stencil back over the top and went over with some Treasure Gold, a bit like bumping it doesn't quite cover all the paste but I think it looks good.

Finally Madam Holbein (I think she looks a bit Tudory with that hat and ruff, hence Madam Holbein, Holbein the Younger not the older - look it up!).  I painted a piece of mountboard in Elephant and Stone to give a neutral base.  Stamped the lovely Lin Perrella in black ink and then started to paint her.  Once I was happy with the colour I went over the top with a watered down wash of metallic glaze to give a subtle sheen. Around the edge I put some more Frantage embossing enamel and edged in black ink. 

I'm really enjoying working with metallic textures at the moment, I know it's not everyones cup of tea and some of you might find it a bit too bright and blingy, but I have to admit - I'm lovin' it!

Hugs
jo
xx


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jo, it looks amazing! I love Madam Holbein...and your blingy bits in the background. Looks like you've put your stash haul from yesterday to perfect use...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's gorgeous, the different textures are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow! Fab blog you have here Jo. I've been back quite a way through your posts and love what I see so I'm joining your followers. Love all the texture on this gorgeous piece and I'm all for a neutral palette too.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!