Saturday 24 March 2012

This is the happy house

Wow, WOYWW certainly got quite a few people coming to look at little old me and my creations - thank you everyone who commented.

So what was on my work desk was this, yet another mixed media creation inspired by a fabric house Gabrielle and I saw last Saturday in a lovely quirky coffee shop.  I hadn't used this plate much from PaperArtsy yet and as it has a house on it, decision made!

I've had these scraps of fabric lying on the sofa in my craft room for ages (off cuts from the strippy quilt that still hasn't been sewn up - sigh) and I knew I wanted to use them randomly sewn on a background.

The canvas is one I've had knocking around for ages, it's had so many layers of paint and stuff on it a few more wouldn't hurt! Gessoed it and then added some sand acrylic and Victorian Velvet Distress Stain in  a shabby splodgy way.
 
The calico layer had some sand acrylic paint as well and then I stamped some text in coffee Archival, used the holes stencil from Crafters Workshop with some Antique Linen Distress Stain.  stamped the butterfly in Pale Ochre Archival and added some Cosmic Shimmer powders (green and pink) in places to make the background.

The fabric offcuts (all in pale pink, off white) were sewn on using pink variegated thread and then I rolled some gesso over the top just to flatten out the different pattern, rubbed some of the gesso back to let bits of the fabric show through. Overstamped this with the chines script stamp from the plate in maroon Archival.

The house was stamped on some thick paper and coloured with oil pastels.  Some White Picket Fence Distress Stain was put over the top just tone it down, the edges were scuffed up and then it was stuck onto some other rougher calico that was sewed onto some white felt to give a bit of padding, some weight and height but still keep the "fabricness" of the piece.

To finish off odd bits of fabric sewn on, a chipboard border from Artist Trading Post which had a little bit of Picket Fence Distress Stain on it and a fabric flower from PaperArtsy with some Victorian Velvet and Picket Fence Distress Stain added. 

It took me ages to finally finish off this piece in terms of the embellishments, I was really happy with the chipboard but it needed something else. I tried loads of buttons scattered about, no not quite right. The flower in it's white state, um sort of but it detracted from the house.  It lay on my desk for a couple of night and then this morning - yes of course the flower works it just needs toning down! 


It's a lovely sunny morning here in the Shires so i was able to take some photo's OUTSIDE, I know how fantastic!


hugs


jo
xx
   

3 comments:

  1. Lovely piece. I like all the different textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mrs Myhill! How I like this! You have done a fantabulous job! I knew you would! I absolutely love it! I bow to your incredible layering skills as always! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Jo your work is amazing I really like what I see...I loVe your style, the happy house and beach hut bliss are very me :) i'd like to follow you so I don't miss a post...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!