Saturday 13 August 2011

Pick a page at random

So the SSSC was to pick a Tim technique - how on earth do you just pick a Tim technique???  Well the easiest for me was to randomly open Compendium and see what page I landed on and that would be my technique. I didn't like the page I landed on, so I then had a flick through and ended up on shabby chic!

So in the perpetual battle of using up stash  found an old IKEA square picture frame, covered in some REALLY OLD Basic Grey paper. Picket fence over that and then weathered wood and burlap stains over that.

For the technique bit I used some raw umber on the grunge paper, stamped with an old floral swirly wooden stamp and embossed.  Had a bit of a nightmare with the embossing because I sprinkled pearl powder not clear at first, panicked and quickly wiped off.  Fortunately there was still enough stickiness to cope with clear embossing powder.  

Then to think about the top layer of paint.  I started off with a dark blue but it was just too dark and wasn't giving enough contrast, so then found a paler baby blue left it on a bit longer and then wiped off - success!

Happy so far but now what?
Work and stuff got in the way so I returned to my work desk on Thursday night as I had to make my mum a birthday card.  I cut out a PaperArtsy heart  from a scrap of Lost and Found, inked the edges and then spread rock candy stickles to give a bit of subtle bling. Put the heart on top of a bit more scrap Lost and Found and attached to the background I'd made from embossed and inked handmade paper.  Looked at it and thought - nope, it doesn't work and I don't like it (ended up BUYING my mother a card - I know, shame on me).

So this morning knowing I had to finish this off to meet deadlines I looked at the carnage on my work desk and thought ... use the heart embellishment on the shabby chic background - two techniques!

Pictures aren't great (sorry), no light outside so forced indoors with flash and lamps!

Anyway a relatively short post today as I'm off to the NEC in Birmingham for the Quilt Festival (birthday treat for mum). I PROMISE not to spend, especially as I haven't used the fabric I got last year, but if I see any nice lace trim I might just have to break open the piggy bank ....
hugs

jo
xx




2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love what you've done - so much work! Have a great time today - suspect your purse won't stay in your bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Love the texture and colours. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!